Applying For A Court Of Protection Deputyship

If a loved one is taken ill or in an accident and does not have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place (or Enduring Power of Attorney if signed before 2007), a Deputyship can help. A Deputyship Order appoints a Deputy to manage a person’s property and financial affairs or health and welfare when that person no longer has the capacity to make those decisions. A Deputy can be a relative, close family friend, or a professional, such as a Solicitor. In order to be appointed as a Deputy, you have to apply to the Court Of Protection.

The two types of Deputyship:

Property and Financial Deputyship

Enables the appointed Deputy to pay bills, sign cheques and all documents relating to investments and money, buy and sell property, and so forth.

Health and Welfare Deputyship

Enables the appointed Deputy to decide if specified medical treatment is to be carried out, what type of care the person receives and who provides it, where they live, who visits them, and even down to the day-to-day decisions such as what that person eats and wears.

Our Court of Protection Services:

Applying to the Court of Protection

We can assist you with completing the Court of Protection application forms to be appointed as a Deputy. We can liaise with third parties to obtain the necessary information, such as arranging the required capacity assessment on your behalf.

Appointing a Professional Deputy

Being a Deputy requires you to keep separate accounts and complete an annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian explaining your decisions. A solicitor can act as a professional Deputy if you would prefer a professional to help you manage the affairs of a loved one.

Statutory Wills

If you want to make (or change) a Will on behalf of someone who cannot do it themselves, an application to the Court of Protection must be made and we can assist with this.